Still have questions? Contact our support team who will talk you through your options. 

Who can be authorised under CPA Australia Advice?

Members of CPA Australia who are either running their own practice or employed in a practice with a CPA Australia public practice certificate. Other eligibility criteria must also be met, such as training.

What eligibility criteria do I need to meet?

You must hold the CPA or FCPA designation with CPA Australia, which ensures all Advisers have the same strong educational and professional backgrounds, fundamental to providing quality advice.

In addition, you must also:

  • be a registered tax agent or tax (financial) adviser*
  • hold a CPA Australia public practice certificate (or be an employee within a CPA Australia practice)
  • have completed relevant RG 146 training, aligned to the Authorisation you are seeking, and 
  • satisfy other requirement such as police and bankruptcy checks.

If authorised under a Corporate Authorised Representative (CAR) structure, the CAR must also register with the Tax Practitioners Board as a Tax (financial) adviser.

*If you are not a tax (financial) adviser, CPA Australia Advice can assist you attain this registration. 

Can I apply as a Corporate Authorised Representative?

You can apply as a Corporate Authorised Representative (CAR). Your business must be a Majority Approved Practice Entity* and have at least one Adviser who meets individual eligibility requirements.

*As defined in the CPA Australia By-Laws

What RG 146 training do I need to be authorised? 

The RG 146 education that you will need will depend on the authorisation you are seeking. 

If you have previously completed RG 146 training, we can provide guidance on how this may be recognised towards meeting our requirements.

If you have not commenced your studies, CPA Australia offers RG 146 training that will meet the requirements; however you are not required to complete your studies with CPA Australia.

How can I charge my clients?

All members authorised under CPA Australia Advice can only charge on a fee for service basis.

All commissions received are rebated directly to clients. Asset-based fees and referral fees are not permitted.

What support services are included?

CPA Australia Advice provides a comprehensive suite of business support tools, software, templates, professional development and where applicable product research.

Paraplanning services, which can help you prepare your client strategies and statements of advice, are also available on a fee for use basis.

The information on this website is factual information only. Our services are available only in Australia from CPA Australia Advice Pty Ltd. ABN 21 606 084 806, AFSL No. 482657, ACL No. 482657, Member of FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service).